Modern kitchens come in different designs, sizes and square meters. When you’re looking to expand your cooking area or simply make simple upgrades like adding custom cabinetry, you’ll naturally want to research the subject before choosing the right kitchen remodeling services. It’s easy to get confused here, as some figures say the average kitchen is 150 square feet, while others say over 700 square feet.
Let’s take a closer look at what the actual average is how this relates to the size of the house and why these confusing numbers even exist.
What factors influence the average kitchen size in America?
There are several factors to consider when comparing average kitchen sizes. First, it is the change in the average size of the kitchen when compared mid-20th century modern and postmodern to current home design options. Secondly, what does the square footage of the house mean for the middle term. Third, how the industry affects consumer perceptions.
Kitchen dimensions in the middle of the 20th century
When you look at photographs or a house layout from the early to mid 20th century, the size of the kitchen definitely stands out. In direct comparison with many contemporary or contemporary kitchen spaces their mid-century counterparts certainly seem smaller. In terms of square footage, old kitchens averaged about 80 square feet. The growth in the size of the kitchen can be correlated with the change in the general culture, as well as the size of the house. Culturally, kitchens were much more practical and used simply for cooking and cleaning.
Now people hang out in the kitchen, someone has a TV in the kitchen, someone has a radio and so on. as technology expands and evolves year after year. Add to this that larger homes have more room for a large kitchen and it can be difficult to determine the average size of a kitchen layout.
The average size of the house sheds light on the average size of the kitchen
It is important to understand that there is no official definition of the average kitchen size. Medium is what you want, and the limitations are often limited to having a house big enough to fit a large kitchen in. If you’ve ever seen a home improvement show or any other HGTV show, kitchens are often the centerpiece of such programming. This is because many different groups have a financial interest in having people like you spend money on their kitchen options such as islands and tables, repair services and the like. If Are you planning a kitchen renovation in the near future, the figures below are just some of the published average kitchen sizes.
- 720 square feet: This impressive number comes from The Home Company. It’s worth noting that this only applies to newly built homes around 4,800 square feet. To give you an idea of the size of such a house, here are a few useful and comparable floor plans. Although, of course, a good kitchen of 720 sq. Feet is only average in fairly large homes.
- From 180 to 440 square feet: This is the kitchen size range you often see in new home designs.
- 225 square feet: figure from Pi Consulting this is more in line with the overall national average kitchen size as it refers to the average house size.
- From 175 to 200 square feet: In many homes, dining areas and kitchens are combined into a common room. This increases the overall size of the kitchen and adds functionality. This, however, stretches the meaning of the term “kitchen” due to the extra dining space.
- 100 square feet: yes traditional style kitchen (10 X 10) and is used in the furniture industry. It is commonly used to calculate the cost of renovation projects.
- 70+ square feet: This is the average small kitchen as defined National Association of Kitchens and Bathrooms. Commonly found in smaller homes, condos, and apartments, and is a great option if you want to keep your kitchen renovation costs down.
Industry influences consumer perception
As the numbers above show, the average is relative, and what is average for one range of homes is not necessarily the average for larger (or smaller) homes. It is also important what the average size of a house actually is. The average home is not 4,800 square feet, but 2,392 square feet. If you take the total size of the kitchen (between 10% and 15% of the total area), this means that the average kitchen in the average home is between 240 and 360 square feet. It also doesn’t include condominiums or apartments with kitchens, which average only 100-200 square feet.